Friday, October 12, 2007

Where has the time gone?

It is hard to believe that it has been so long since we have posted anything. Re-entry to seminary life has been more difficult than I had expected, especially the schedule.

Internship is preparation for ministry, and most Lutherans do their internship during the 3rd year of seminary, then come back to the seminary for the 4th year. This makes some sense, in that it gives us a chance to reflect on internship, ask questions about those things that came up during internship, and give us some time to get ready for first call. The disadvantage for those who opt to modify the schedule and do their internship during the 4th year is that they usually end up with several months of unemployment (or at least not church employment) while awaiting assignment. The disadvantage of the "normal" routine of 3rd year internship is the abrupt schedule changes, from school to internship, then internship back to school.

All this said, it is the last year of seminary, we are back in our house, back in classes, and well underway towards graduation. Unfortunately, one of the things that has suffered is keeping this blog updated. It has been almost a month since either of us posted anything. And yes, we really have been busy.

Our first several weeks back, we were busy unpacking, spending our weekends helping with the lake-side services and campground ministry, and trying to re-adjust to seminary life. We also went back to our campus jobs - Ruth in the library and me in the computer lab. I also inherited the student web site, which had crashed and had to be rebuilt. On top of all of this, we had to write approval essays. Well, enough of that. We have been busy, and not posting very regularly.

************

You have probably noticed that the blog has a new look. Blogger has made some changes, and offered new templates, so I decided to try something new. I was not very happy with the way the blog was looking, and during one of the last changes, our picture went away. Now, with the new template, I was able to put it back and have more control over the look of the blog. Hope you like it.

***************

What else is going on? Well, we just had our fall break - a 5-day weekend! It was a nice break, but not all relaxation. Just as we were making our plans for the things we wanted to do, Rusty's laptop hard drive crashed, so we spent a lot of time recovering files. I had just had to replace my laptop, and am still getting files transferred over to it, so most of the first two days of our break was centered around computers - updates, backups, and repairs.

Another things that happened over break was that I had a chance to spend some time with a couple of friends and play with my new hobby some. There have been 2 ham fests in the area in the last 6 weeks, so I have gone to look (but with no money to spend) at ham radios, antennas, and other neat stuff. I now have (thanks to a friend) an antenna and a 10-foot pole so that I can get better signals on my radio. I just finished putting it together, and hopefully will get a chance to try it out soon. It seems that the adapter I bought was not the one I needed so I will have to find another one before I can make the final connections.

Enough for now, and I really do plan to get back into more of a routine of posting. Really.

2 comments:

David said...

I like the look Ray. BTW...our computer is up and running again so you can take me off of your list of "those needing guidance." I still need guidance, but of a more holy variety. lol

Ray said...

You should - I think it looks a lot like yours.

Glad your computer is back up and running. As for the other, I am free on Thursday evening...