Tuesday, February 12, 2008

From David at Here I Stand:

This meme has been making the rounds, and since I have little time for blogging today I will play along rather then publish another of my awe inspiring, inspirational posts. It is called the 1-2-3 Meme, and to play along one needs a book. Being that I am sitting in the seminary library right now, that shouldn’t be a problem. Here are the rules for the meme.

Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. (No cheating!)
Find Page 123.
Find the first 5 sentences.
Post the next 3 sentences.
Tag 5 people
******************************
The book I picked up is a textbook for Lutheranism in North America (sorry, it was the first book I could reach with at least 123 pages). The next 3 sentences are:

Shaking off the grief which had weighed on him after the death of his young bride, he [Samual Simon Schmucker] feverishly wrote letters to men who he knew to be supportes of the General Synod. "I have within the last six weeks written sixteen letters to different parts of our church," he wrote in his diary. There were letters to North Carolina, urging the synod to send delegates at the appointed time to Frederick, Maryland, in spite of the action of the Pennsylvania Ministerium.

(And we think there are issues in the Lutheran church today!)

Like David, I am a bit short on time (but this sounded like fun), so if you read this, consider yourself tagged.

3 comments:

Ruth Ann said...

Well, I may be cheating, but the first book I reached was the same one you used. Wouldn't make much sense to post the very same sentences, would it?

So, I reached for the next book in my 'to-be-read' stack on the nearest bookshelf, Steeped in the Holy: Preaching as Spiritual Practice, by Raewynne J. Whiteley:

"Corporate prayer is the background to all our preaching, and for those of us in liturgical traditions, that corporate prayer takes a liturgical form. Our forebears read and prayed, and crafted words that became the skeleton of the prayers that structure our worship today. Their prayers echo Scripture, phrases woven in so that God's word becomes our words, which we then speak back to God."

David said...

What...nothing from Biff?

Ray said...

Why not? From Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff by Christopher Moore:

"Is it always the same for you?"
"Well, in some ways, Yes."
"In what ways?"

A conversation between Biff and Joshua about sin.