Sunday, March 02, 2008

Resting a While

As you can tell from Ray’s recent post, it has been a busy weekend in our house. I must admit that I have quite willingly missed most of that busy-ness, as I answered a call to “Come away to a deserted place all by yourselves and rest a while.” (Mark 6:30, NRSV)

I journeyed this weekend with a small group from campus to the Snail’s Pace Retreat Center, in Saluda, North Carolina. I have often attended retreats in the past, but they were often really planning sessions or board meetings in disguise, so I have rarely been truly ‘on retreat.’

This weekend away was a delightful and restful time of worship, prayer, Bible study, and fellowship. The weather was wonderfully crisp and clear, so our group spent an entire afternoon outdoors, doing a bit of browsing in the shops of downtown Saluda and visiting the nearby Pearson Falls. I spent quite some time simply sitting on a bench near the falls, with my eyes closed, soaking up the warm sunshine and listening to the rush of the water. Ray would have called this my ‘lizard on a warm rock’ imitation!

We also had quiet solitary times for reading or napping. (One often leads to the other for me!) We also enjoyed the wonderful food prepared by the staff and the companionship of others visiting the retreat center. It was a wonderful restful and calming experience in the midst of a busy semester – and a welcome respite from concerns about the call process.

I can highly recommend this as a delightful place away from the routine for those who are weary! If you go, please give my greetings to Randy and Linda, the gracious and hospitable staff .

No comments: