Saturday, July 22, 2006

Being 2 places at one time

It has been a busy summer, with many opportunities for preaching and assisting at various churches. We have been to our home church, helped with the campground ministry out at the lake, been to our seminary partnership congregation, and preached a few times as supply while a pastor was on vacation.

The interesting part of this, as a couple that are both in seminary, is that we don't mind getting double-booked for a weekend. We do enjoy leading worship together when we can, but it is also interesting to do it separately - especially since we do it differently.

Quite often, when we are together, one of us will do the liturgy and the other will preach; sometimes we split it differently. On one occasion this summer, Ruth Ann sat and watched while I did everything (of course, she is going back to that same church this weekend by herself, which is why I did everything last time).

Our most interesting Sunday so far this summer might have been last Sunday. I had been asked to supply preach at a church way out in the country (by a classmate who had filled in there before, but was booked for last weekend elsewhere) and Ruth Ann was preaching out at the lake. I had never been to this church, and had only sort of met the pastor at a funeral, so I really did not expect anyone to know me, nor did I know what to expect. Turned out to be a wonderful congregation and a joy to be with. The real surprise was the email from the pastor after she returned from vacation, telling me how wonderful her worship committee thought I was, and then going on to tell me that she spent her vacation Sunday, at the lake, on a boat, listening to Ruth Ann preach!

The church is a small world; that is no surprise, but it still surprises us sometimes to find out just how small it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have missed the opportunity to see you both!It was a pleasure to be at your service in our "neck of the woods"!

Ray said...

We both enjoyed being out there - it was good to have a couple of familiar faces as well.