Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Sabbath Time

This summer has been a sort of sabbath or sabbatical for us - a blessed time. Don't get me wrong, we have been plenty busy, but it has been a different pace. For example, we have rarely set the alarm clock - instead allowing ourselves to catch up on much needed rest.

Lest you think I've been lounging around all day eating bon-bons, I should explain that I have been working some each week at the campus library. I've also spent some time reading several books that I checked out from the library earlier in the year. My goal is to finish and return them BEFORE we move. Most of these are non-fiction, either theological or spiritual, but typically not quite as deep as most of our assigned textbooks this past couple of years!

We have also had the time to catch up some long-postponed chores. For me, that included spending a couple of days doing nothing but mending. (After Ray helped me clean and oil the much-neglected sewing machine!) Some of the items in the mending pile had been there a LONG time!! I've also pulled out my knitting and worked on a couple of projects that have been partially completed for a long time. I still have to put the fringe on a shawl and sew a zipper into a sweater before they are finished, but they are much closer to complete than they were. Finishing up some of these things provides a restful but productive way to spend the hot summer days and provides a tremendous sense of accomplishment!

In a complete change of pace from our usual class schedules or our previous business experience, our plans this summer typically revolve around our weekend plans - specifically where we will be worshipping, assisting, preaching. We have worshipped in several different churches the past few weeks, in North and South Carolina, Tennessee, and Illinois. It is great to be able to worship in so many different settings, yet know they are all part of the same church - the body of Christ.

Praying that each of you can experience some of this sabbath rest that God wills for each of us...

No comments: