Friday, November 24, 2006

Giving Thanks

Some things I’m grateful for this Thanksgiving:

For not needing too many of the things that are safely stored in a warehouse in South Carolina, and for being able find - fairly quickly - the couple of things that we did need to retrieve while we were back on campus recently!

For the opportunity to visit with classmates and friends on campus at this point in our internship year. Sometimes we need to be reassured that we are not the only ones challenged by this process! The fellowship and community we find with our classmates and in the church are certainly signs of God’s grace.

For patient tenants, since the much-needed new dishwasher won’t fit without some modifications to the kitchen counters. (The previous owners didn’t plan ahead sufficiently when they remodeled the kitchen.) I am reminded of how often my plans don’t take into account the bigger picture or the long-term view.

For a precious two year old who reaches up her arms to me and says “I want to hold you.” She reminds me of how I reach out to God to be held and comforted, trusting that he will indeed reach down and pick me up and hold me close in love.

For children who are patient and generous even though some of our roles have been reversed. (Now we visit them when we are in town!) I suspect that “Honor your father and mother” has taken on a significantly new meaning.

For thirty years of marriage to a loving, supportive spouse who shares not only so much of my past but also looks forward with me to an exciting future as we continue to discern God’s plans and prepare for ordained ministry.

For friends and family who read this blog and stay in touch via phone or email, even though we are far away on internship. Your love, encouragement, and support make a huge difference.

This is certainly not an all-inclusive list, but simply things that came to mind as I contemplated the meaning of Thanksgiving this week. Hope we can each take time to contemplate the things - both large and small- that we are grateful for and give our heartfelt thanks to God.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A great reminder about why this holiday is important, and who we are to give thanks to. Thanks.