Friday, November 17, 2006

Lost in space...

I tried to post to the blog the other day, but lost it between one mouse click and the next. It seems, that for as technical as I am, to be my curse to discover new ways of losing electronic documents in new and exciting ways.

The worst part of it is that I really don’t remember all of what I wrote. It was late, I was on my son’s computer, and when the words were deleted from the screen, they were apparently deleted from my brain as well. Based on conversation with another blogging friend, I will write post in a new way – they will be written in a Word document (with frequent saves) and then copied and pasted into the blog entry screen. This may take some of the challenge out of it, but it will hopefully remove some of the frustrations as well.

As to why I was trying to post the other night – mostly because it has been awhile. A couple of phone calls, a run-in with someone who reads the blog and commented that we had not posted anything new recently, and the realization that it is almost Thanksgiving and we have not done an update for a while. Yes – we have been busy. Our internship project has meshed well into a project we are doing with LDR – Congregational Preparedness, but it is also turning out to require a lot of time. While the terms of our project (as far as the seminary is concerned) are for us to finish it this year (before Aug 07), the reality is that we need to finish most of the work by the end of November (in just a couple of weeks).

The nature of our internship with LDR is that we are working in multiple departments, so that we gain experience in several areas of disaster response. For October and November, the focus has been on congregational preparedness – which is also our project. Hence, a lot of work has been done on the project. In addition, we are doing the first trial run of our presentation on congregational preparedness the week after Thanksgiving! That means that most of our research has to be done and our presentation has to be in a pretty complete first draft – Power Point slides, handouts, and all by Nov 28! The part of the project that goes to the seminary is a written paper discussion the project, how it went, results, etc. That part does not have to be done for a while, but since letters starting going out to congregations this week, asking them to let us come and do the presentation, we have to be ready to go soon.

I would like to think that once the presentation is ready, things will slow down a little, but the reality is that then we begin Advent, along with a new department at LDR, holiday preparations, etc., etc. We might even be doing some presentations in early December! I don’t think we will slow down again until next August – just in time to start classes again.

4 comments:

Ruth Ann said...

I have to laugh a bit because I signed in to create an entry about our work on our LDR project, to find that you already had done one.

And to find that you were going to take someone else's advice about writing in Word and then pasting it into the blog - since you've suggested that to me before after I had trouble with an entry posting. Another case of "do as I say, not as I do"!!

David said...

The scary part of this Ruth Ann is in the considering of who gave Ray the advice to first write his post in Word.

It was great to see both of you, and I am glad you made it back safe and sound.

Ray said...

Yeah, well, I can be a bit stubborn sometimes. I hate extra steps, even when I know they are better.

Trip back was good - decent weather and reasonable traffic so we made good time.

Ray said...

For anyone who reads this post later (now Dec 18), you can see an overview of our congregational preparedness program on this site:
www.r2enterprises.com/preparedness

Ray