Friday, December 29, 2006

A Time to Relax

Wow! And I thought that end of semester finals were tough! As interns, we have just finished our first Advent/Christmas season where we not only attend more church services than usual - we are leading and/or preaching at those services! I did not know that a person could be so tired.

This is the comment that I left for Pastor David on his post at Postings from Prairie Hill. He has just completed his first season as a solo pastor; I guess his comments give me something to look forward to - being very tired!

Yet, it has been a time of great uplifting, as well. We each did things that we had not done before, such as three services each Wednesday of Advent, chanting Evening Prayer (LBW) for the first time, and multiple services on Christmas Eve. A lot of work - yes. A lot of planning - yes. A little nerve-wracking - at times. But oh so uplifting. Even the noontime service with only a few people - worth every minute.

In some ways, I look forward to the Lenten season where we have Wednesday services for 6 weeks instead of 3, but I also dread it. Twice as long - I have to believe that I will be twice as tired by the Monday after Easter; but if it is even half as uplifting as Advent has been, I believe I can make it through.

The season of Advent - the waiting, the anticipation, will be different from Lent, which is more reflective, but it is still a special time in the church, one which leads the preacher into a more contemplative time as he/she prepares for each service, each sermon. More time spent preparing, a feeling of being more prepared; a better connection with the word proclaimed and with the receiver of the word.

In the meantime, we are enjoying a few days off, time to have a late Christmas celebration with family, to have a little after-Christmas snow at Mom's (which we would not have in Mobile), and a chance to recharge before beginning the New Year. It is also a chance to connect with many whom we have not seen since we left on internship. Sunday will be at our home congregation in Charlotte, where we have not been since last Good Friday.

Time with family, time with friends, time to rest. Gifts from God, gifts to be treasured, gifts to be shared. May each of you have time to relax, and to recharge, and we wish each of you a most blessed New Year!

3 comments:

David said...

Wow, you two were busy. My experience was much the same as yours, but I only had one congregation.

Four services on Christmas Eve was really tiring, but as you say, uplifting as well. Between the 8:30PM and 11:15PM service, the choir held its annual Christmas party. I enjoyed that very much.

Tomorrow is a lessons and Carols service that is traditionally led by the vicar; Pastor is on vacation. It will be a nice service I'm sure. I have five lay readers ready for each service, and they are all excited to help out.

Happy New Year! Get some rest!

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment, and I hope you enjoyed your internship Christmas. God bless you as you finish out this internship year.

David

Ray said...

Thanks, and I appreciate your comments on your first-call parish - it gives us some insight as to what we might have to look forward to.

Ray