Monday, June 16, 2008

Opening the Book(s)

There is an opportunity on campus this summer to take part in a reading and discussion group with two theology professors. I must confess that I did not even consider participating in the group! Partly because I didn’t want to commit to a particular schedule for reading, and partly because I couldn’t quite face scholarly discussion on the two commentaries on Romans that the group is reading – by Martin Luther and St. Augustine.

I’ll admit that I wasn’t ready for such heavy fare so soon after graduation, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not reading. I realized this evening that I had a book in progress in nearly every room of the house! Most of these are checked out from the campus library. I’m very grateful for “courtesy borrower” status which is available after graduation!

On the nightstand beside the bed, an Earlene Fowler murder mystery Tumbling Blocks. She’s one of my current favorite authors – each book in this series is named for a quilt pattern, and those quilt patterns or other folk arts are worked into each novel. (Don’t tell Ray – even though we just checked it out from the local public library, I’m already reading it for the second time!)

On my desk in the office, along with a Bible, various hymnals and a daily devotional, Reading the Bible Again for the First Time by Marcus Borg. I’ve made it through Part One, to page 57. While I don’t agree with everything he writes about the Bible, many of his insights ring true. I’ll keep on reading it, even though I occasionally put it down and walk away in frustration over something he writes!

On the end table in the living room, Doreen McFarlane’s book entitled Funerals with Today’s Families in Mind. I’ve previously read a companion book on weddings – this one also seemed like good preparation for parish ministry. Just started reading it this evening, but I’m nearly a third through. Practical suggestions; straight forward writing; and I’m sure I will find it helpful.

And on the kitchen table, a book from the Lutheran Voices series from Augsburg Fortress, which I’ve been carrying around for ‘waiting room reading’: Speaking of Trust: Conversing with Luther on the Sermon on the Mount, by Martin Marty. It’s a small book, and we own it, so it’s handy to carry in my purse and it doesn’t matter how long it takes me to finish. Besides, how can you go wrong with a book written by two Martins?!

Waiting for me on the bookshelf is a new book in the library Disaster Spiritual Care. I'm anxious to see what is included in this book that we didn't have available during our internship year with Lutheran Disaster Response.

Another book waiting for me is Opening the Book of Faith, which Augsburg Fortress was giving away at the North Carolina Synod Assembly. This is written to help all of us participate in the ELCA’s initiative, Book of Faith, which encourages all of us to open the scriptures and read them for ourselves.

So many options! What are you reading this summer?

2 comments:

Jeff said...

First of all, I must apologize profusely for not yet passing along well deserved congratulations following your's and Ray's graduation. I am way behind on recognizing the graduates in our life, but I'm getting there....

Thank you for this post with all of these excellent titles to consider. I am the librarian at our church and am always on the lookout for appropriate titles to add to our collection. When I see book lists from other prominent Lutherans, especially pastors and pastors-to-be!!, it definitely catches my attention and causes a bookmark to be placed on that reference.

This past Sunday the Men's Ministry from our church was offering a book giveaway for Father's Day with titles such as Man in the Mirror, Wild at Heart, Twelve Ordinary Men, and Half-Time, among others. I had been wanting to read Half-Time for quite some time, and was pleased to see it available. It appears to contain content very applicable to the present state of affairs in my life.

I am also reading and working with Regions on the Run by James Monson in preparation for a family trip to the Holy Land with a church group that will be taking place just after Christmas.

Blessings to you and Ray this day and on the time ahead as you prepare to answer your call.

Ruth Ann said...

Thanks! We are glad to be done and enjoying the change of pace while we wait for the call process to unfold.

I'm not sure how much this post helps with titles for your library, but I can heartily recommend the Lutheran Voices series from A/F. I have read several and purchased several more that are still in the "to be read" stack!

The Holy Land trip sounds wonderful - I hope we'll hear more about it!