Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The path of the labyrinth

First, time for a quick progress report: We have only two more classes left; one tomorrow morning, then one Friday morning. I have four of the five final papers for the semester complete, one left to finish before Friday morning. That translates to 49 pages done, about 5 left to go!

Ray is still finishing one paper as I type this. We also still have to locate about 35 library books in the chaos of our office and get them turned in by Friday. Then we can begin preparations for our graduation celebration in earnest!

I took time out today to walk the prayer labyrinth on campus. The weather was cool, breezy, and sunny this morning, but half of the labyrinth lay in the shade of several large trees. Each time I turned and took a few steps, I moved from sunshine to shade and the breeze alternated between being at my back or on my face. Plus the labyrinth is placed between most of the buildings on campus and Main Street. So, while you are walking silently, you are surrounded by the sounds of birds singing and leaves rustling, and the traffic rushing by, and activity on the campus. Quite an amazing juxtaposition.

(For more information about the Trinity Labyrinth at LTSS, click on the photo!)

All in all, a marvelous and meaningful experience. Each time I do this - which is not as often as I would like - I am reminded of how similar a labyrinth is to our daily walk of faith. After all, in our daily life we are called to be in the world but not of the world. We can’t ever really block out the sounds of nature or other people.

In case you have never walked a labyrinth, a bit of explanation is probably necessary: unlike a maze, a labyrinth contains only one path. You don’t have to make decisions about which direction to walk; you simply follow the twisting path that lies in front of you. This pattern of the path allows you to spend time in prayer, instead of concentrating on where you are going.

What always fascinates me is that even after doing this several times, whenever I try to guess which way the path will turn next, I am rarely right. I'm learning that it doesn’t really pay to guess what is coming around the next turn. It is much simpler to trust that the path has already been planned out to take you to your destination, so that you can relax, follow the path, spend time in God’s presence, and savor the journey.

Also much like life, if I get distracted and raise my eyes away from path, I inevitably take a wrong turn. It is much simpler if I can stay focused on the path before me.

Finally, and also much like my everyday life - it is much easier to walk this stony path in practical, comfortable shoes!

Blessings on each of you in your journeys today. May you feel the sun and the breeze; may you hear the sounds of nature and of those around you, and may you always be wearing the appropriate shoes for the path you travel!

No comments: