Sunday, April 20, 2008

Seeking the place

Several people have asked us lately about how the call process is proceeding. That is a tricky question to answer, especially in a public forum, but I’ll try. Yes, we have been in conversation with the NC Synodical office; yes, our names and paperwork are with a congregation right now; and yes, this is potentially an opportunity for us to serve in ministry together. We are excited by the possibility of serving in one congregation – and I realized as we travelled – by the opportunity to return home to North Carolina.

I certainly can’t announce where that congregation is, but I can tell you that Ray and I met with their call committee earlier this weekend. We thoroughly enjoyed our time with the members of the call committee, in both a formal interview and more casual conversations over meals. We appreciated the opportunity to become acquainted with them, the local community, and their beautiful facility and grounds. The committee members were gracious hosts. We felt truly welcomed and engaged in what I think was a helpful conversation for all of us.

Ray and I have talked about how surprisingly relaxed we felt during our conversations this weekend. I attribute that both to the hospitality we experienced and to our faith that God has already prepared a place for us. Our job now is not to impress a call committee and convince them to hire us (like many job interviews), but rather to engage in honest dialogue so that we can all prayerfully discern together if this is the place where God intends for us to begin our ministry of word and sacrament.

It is far too soon to tell that for certain, but I am glad that the process has begun. The only real problem is that being involved in the call process and anticipating life after graduation makes it even harder to concentrate on the work that needs to be done in the next couple of weeks! Graduation is now less than three weeks away, but all of our homework is due by May 2, so that our grades can be completed before graduation day.

So now, I'd better get back to the books...

6 comments:

Ray said...

Seven papers to write; one down and six to go!

John, an unlikely pastor said...

It hard to just be open, but that's what trusting the Spirit means in a call process.
I've served in 3 churches that I'd never visited until being open for a call and I can't imagine my life without serving in all three. Be open and you might see God do amazing things.

Ruth Ann said...

I finished one this afternoon; Four more to go! Unfortunately, they are the four longest!

Ray said...

Another down - I have five left (actually, 4 and a final), but they are the big ones!

Ray said...

Only 3 papers left - one each for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.

Ray said...

Only 2 left!