Sunday, January 15, 2006

Our last week!

Today is the beginning of our last 7 days here in Ocean Springs. Next Saturday, we will be heading for home. Today, being Sunday, was a pretty lite day. Ruth Ann and I took our friends from Michigan and a couple from Wisconsin for a little tour around the area. At first, there was a lot of talk about needing to take pictures; then after awhile, mostly silence. Seeing houses blocks from the Gulf that have clothes strung in trees 15 feet in the air makes you realize that pictures just will not capture the enormity of the destruction.

I even took a little extra time at dinner this evening to watch the end of the Panthers and Bears game. I was, of course, the only Panthers fan in the room. Most of the Midwesterners were pulling for the Bears. Still, it was very relaxing to just sit and watch the end of the game.

I am also improving my small engine repair skills. One of the chainsaws that I had previously worked on developed a leak in the fuel line. After finding some fuel line tubing, I managed to get the saw apart, remove the old fuel line, cut a new piece, get in installed and it worked! A few weeks ago, I would probably have just taken it to the shop. Now, I have both the time and the need to get it done quickly and cheaply.

New volunteers continue to pour in. About 30 new people have arrived this weekend and twice that many left on Friday or Saturday. There are always new faces at meal time. Believe it or not, after 19 days, we are considered old-timers, as there are just a few of us who have been here more than a week. This afternoon I was giving tours of the church like I was a life-long member. It is always interesting to see the reactions we get when people ask how we were able to be here for most of a month and we tell them we are seminary students. I have, in the past two weeks, talked with at least five volunteers who have been considering seminary for themselves.

Shortly, there will be some pictures posted of the distribution center where Ruth Ann works. I went over yesterday to join her for lunch at the BBQ place two doors down from the distribution center and took some pictures. If you come to Ocean Springs to volunteer and you like good BBQ, try Pleasants BBQ. I don't think you will be disappointed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course you would find a BBQ joint!

Game was terrible.

Get to watch any of 24?

Ray said...

And a great BBQ it was, too. I thought the game was great, but I thought the Panthers might give it away in the 4th quarter. No - the game is about the only TV we have watched.