Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Wednesday, Jan 3

Now we are old-timers - we attended our second volunteer coordinators meeting today ( we arrived just before the meeting last week). While at times it appears that this whole thing is just barely organized chaos, it is really pretty well coordinated. Considering that we have groups arrived every day this week, with other groups beginning to leave by Friday, it is amazing that we can get them in, find them a bed, feed them, and find them jobs every single day, but we do - and with very few hitches in the system.

I went to visit another job site today, and while getting slightly lost, I took a drive along 90 to Pascagoula and then up to I-10 - and was again amazed at how widespread the destruction is. I did not take any pictures because after a while, it becomes apparent that no picture really just justice to what has happened here. In some areas, house after house is destroyed and gone; the next neighborhood is a sea of blue tarps on roofs. One resident that I talked to today told me of riding the storm out in her house, and fearing the cars that were floating around her house more than the water.

No comments: